- You could copy and paste the code in an email or over an instant messaging service like Google Hangouts. The result is ugly to say the least, losing the benefits of monospace type, syntax highlighting, and possibly indentation along the way.
- You could share your screen with a tool like TeamViewer to let them see exactly what you're doing, and even participate. This can be laggy, requires both sides have the service installed, must be real-time, and prevents you from doing anything else while working with your partner.
- You could use a paste-to-share service like Pastebin to send a unique link to your code. This has the benefit of presenting the content in a very readable way, accessible at any time. However, the content is static, and changes need to be communicated back and forth as a series of new links. This can be confusing in a situation that requires a lot of edits, and there's no way to easily show the steps and changes between links.
Wouldn't it be great if there were a service that preserved my code's syntax and formatting, allowed for real-time collaboration without necessitating it, and had could re-use a single link to point to dynamic content, with the ability to create static snapshots as needed?
- Beautiful design puts all options easily within reach.
- Fullscreen mode hides all options off-screen and gives you maximum space to work in.
- Syntax highlighting for over 130 programming languages.
- Two themes (Dark and Light) to match your preference.
- Intellisense, code snippet completion, and error checking for many languages.
- Snapshot button to create a static copy of the editor at any time.
- Snapshots can be restored in the future!
- Collaboration can be turned on or off.
- The User List shows everyone currently viewing the code with you.
- A chat sidebar is available, and chat history persists with the Pile forever.
Register for a free account and you'll receive additional benefits, including:
- The ability to Bookmark any Pile for future reference.
- The ability to toggle the Pile's collaboration setting at any time (non-registered users can only choose this setting once when they first create the Pile).
- A profile where you can manage your created and Bookmarked Piles.